That's according to Google. Well, according to a Google search for the phrase "how to write a tagline," I should say.
Unfortunately for Best Buy, nobody there bothered to do that search. The case against Best Buy's recent branding missteps, spurred on by their weak new tagline ("Making technology work for you"), is laid out in this recent Fast Company blog article.
About the same time as that article was posted, we happened to be working on non-cheesy tagline options for one of our own projects. Someone on the team observed that, at least in their experience, taglines almost never say very much.
I was curious to see if that observation played out. We have a long history working with Herman Miller, the furniture company whose tagline claims to create "A better world around you." That's nice, right? Who wouldn't want a better world around them?
Apparently, lots of companies agree that claims about "better" and/or "world" are also good.
- Adobe - Better by Adobe
- Arcelor - Steel Solutions for a Better World
- ACN Inc. - One world. One Vision.
- Allegheny Technologies - Specialty Materials That Make Our World
- Ameritech - In a World of Technology, People Make the Difference.
- American Express - It's Your World. Take Control
- ARCELOR - Steel solutions for a better world
- AT&T - The World's Networking Company
- AT&T - Your World. Delivered
- BAE Systems - Innovating for a Safer World
- Bayer USA - Science for a Better Life
- BLOOMINGDALES - Like no other store in the world
- BOSE - Better sound through research
- British Airways - The world's favourite airline.
- Burger King - It just tastes better
- BUSINESS INDIA - The Magazine of the Corporate World
- CAST AWAY - At the edge of the world, his journey begins
- Century 21 - Real Estate for Your World
- CHC Helicopter - CHC Moves the Industry That Moves the World"
- DHL - We move the world.
- DuPont - Better living through chemistry
- Dupont - Better things for better living, through chemistry
- EBAY - The World's Online Market Place
- Exxon Mobil - Taking on the World's Toughest Energy Challenges
- FedEx - The world on time.
- Ford - Ford has a better idea
- Fotolog - Share your world with the world.
- Goodyear - The best tires in the world have Goodyear written all over them.
- Holiday Inn - Pleasing people the world over.
- HSBC - The World's Local Bank
- Kodak - A Virtual World of Live Pictures
- Lufthansa - There's no better to fly
- Marshall Aerospace - World Class Aerospace Solutions
- Michelin - A better way forward
- Mitsubishi - Better Built, Better Backed
- Mitsubishi Semiconductor - Changes for the Better
- MITTAL STEEL - Steel solutions for a better world
- Monster.com - The World's Networking Company
- NASDAQ - Stock market for the digital world
- NYSE (New York Stock Exchange) - The world puts its stock in us
- SANSUI - Born in Japan Entertaining The World
- SBI DEBIT CARD - Welcome to a Cashless World.
- Sprint PCS - Now, that's better
- Sunkist - Better snacking
- Texas Instruments - The World Leader in DSP and Analog Technology for Innovators
- Tyco - A vital part of your world.
- Walmart - Save money. Live better
This is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure there many more companies using "better," "world," or both in their taglines. Some are good. Some are bad. But most importantly, not very many are memorable.