A: Many companies are so focused on their products and services that they neglect their most valuable asset—their employees. Executives need to think of employees, and other stakeholders like investors or the board of directors, as another target audience for design.
Using design to inform, enlighten, and motivate internal audiences can result in:
- Clarity of goal definition
- Alignment of goals to actions
- Connection of staff to CEO vision and charisma
- Increase participation and empowerment
- Aid in recruitment and retention
- Boost communication and advocacy
- Elevate leadership and organizational management
- Monitor results in these areas
All the talk and good intentions about creating a culture of innovation will go nowhere without employee buy-in. Design can play a real role in shepherding this critical step. Plus, once your CEO sees what you guys can do to their hum-drum PowerPoint presentations, I believe they'll become one of your team's biggest advocates.
Please send your questions to: AskDesignB1tch@gmail.com
Disclaimer: The general information in this column is not a substitute for personalized advice from an attorney, an insurance agent or an accountant. If you have questions regarding legal, financial or risk management issues, you should seek the services of an appropriate professional.